It’s always a good idea to be prepared for the unexpected; this especially holds true when it comes to plumbing emergencies. A busted pipe or backed-up drain can cause a lot of damage in a short period of time, and often leaves homeowners scrambling to find the best 24 hour plumber “near me” that they can trust. In this article, we will discuss why homeowners should research 24-hour plumbers in advance, as well as some tips on how to prevent plumbing emergencies from happening in the first place!
Best 24 Hour Plumber Near Me
Is There Any Way to Prepare for or Prevent Plumbing Emergencies?
While it is of course impossible to predict every disaster before it occurs, there are steps you can take as a homeowner to reduce the likelihood of incurring a plumbing problem down the road. We’ve gathered the top seven tips for preventing malfunctioning plumbing that are accessible enough and easy enough that anyone can practice them!
1. Flushable wipes…are not really flushable! We know, we know—if they were not truly flushable, why on earth would they be marketed as such? While there is some conflicting research out there on this supported by various brands trying to support the validity of their product, the truth is, most “flushable” wipes do not dissolve at a fast enough rate to avoid clogging pipes and plumbing, and have even been known to wreak havoc on the local sewage system. If you love how “flushable” wipes feel in contrast with toilet paper, it is generally wiser to dispose of them in the trash rather than tempting fate by sending them through your plumbing—especially if it’s old plumbing!
2. Grease does not belong down your drain. Of course, when we’re doing dishes, there’s no way to completely remove all greasy residue from a skillet or plate while cleaning up after dinner. However, bacon fat isn’t the only fat you shouldn’t pour down the sink. Even fats that are liquid at room temperature like olive oil can harden and coagulate in colder temperatures. Horrifyingly, floating fat deposits, called “fatbergs” are causing significant damage in sewage systems across the world and even across the pond!
3. Be discerning about what can go down your garbage disposal. There’s no denying that a garbage disposal is a useful tool, and we often put it through its paces—however, it is not impervious to damage, and some foods are more likely than others to cause clogs and other mishaps from occurring. Never put starchy foods like bread, pasta, potato or vegetable peels, rice, meat, or cooking oil down your garbage disposal, for example—and never put any non-food items down there either!
4. Don’t use exposed pipes in your basement or elsewhere as hangers! Tempting as it can be when hanging festive decorations or even wet clothing to save on utility bills, exposed plumbing is no place for your towel to dry. Hanging things on your pipes can cause undue stress on the jointed areas, and may ultimately result in failure.
5. Be mindful of your cleaning materials. Everyone gets a clogged drain from time to time. While there are plenty of incredibly powerful chemicals out there designed to eat away the material clogging your drain or clean your toilet bowl without any scrubbing action, these chemicals are corrosive and can be damaging to your plumbing and porcelain, especially if used repeatedly over time.
6. Know where your water shutoff valve is before you even move into a new home! While this is not exactly a preventative measure, it is a crucial step in becoming a property owner. By understanding how and where to shut off water access to your plumbing, you can stop emergencies like burst pipes or overflowing toilets from escalating from an inconvenience to unsafe to your loved ones, damaging to your home, or both. In short, this step can help you prevent a lot of undue damage and save you countless money in the event an emergency occurs.
7. Annually drain and service your water heater tank. Your water heater tank sees a lot of action each day—and that would wear on anybody over time! Regularly checking in with your water heater tank to ensure pressures are properly being released, sediment is not building up, and the protective lining is still intact is a good basic practice for homeowners to maintain the significant investment of their home while preventing possible accidents down the line.
Top 5 Reasons WHy Homeowners Should Research 24-Hour Plumbers in Advance
It’s all fun and games until there’s a plumbing emergency and water is spurting in places where it decidedly does not belong. By the time an emergency has already occurred, however, it’s a bit late in the game to start searching the internet for the “best 24 hour plumber near me,” especially if sewage is backing up through your shower drain. Here are the top five reasons why homeowners should select their emergency plumber before they have a plumbing crisis:
1. Gives you time to read reviews: While it’s always important to read customer reviews with a grain of salt, it can at least give you an idea of the kind of experience you might be signing up for, the plumbers’ credibility, professionalism, timeliness, and more. This is an easy way to discern if a candidate is worth researching further or not.
2. Look for transparent pricing and rates: The last thing you want is a surprisingly large bill at the end of a plumber’s services. Especially if you were expecting a certain price and confronted with another, this can be an unsettling and stressful experience. If you have a hard time getting a clear answer out of your plumber about how much it will cost to hire them, it’s worth looking at other options.
3. Explore plumbers’ experiences, accreditations, and services offered: It’s great to be cognizant of different strengths and specializations in which your local area 24-hour plumbers excel so you know precisely who to call depending on what kind of emergency you are facing. For example, if you have a burst pipe or damaged water main, try to find a 24-hour plumber that has a history of deftly tackling these challenges.
4. Check that they are currently licensed: When it comes to maintaining your house—and yes, even adding value to your home—it’s important to hire a plumber who is licensed and likely to be able to fix your plumbing issues for the long term, rather than cheap, short-term fixes. For example, while it can be tempting to hire a general handyman to fix your plumbing problems, as they generally come at a lower rate, they may not have the qualifications or certifications necessary to adequately solve the problem—and they likely won’t have plumbing specializations.
5. Policies and payment options: Plumbing expenses—especially emergency plumbing expenses—can add up quickly, never mind if disaster should strike in the wee hours of the morning or on a holiday. Not every American family has an emergency fund that they can dedicate to unexpected repairs—which is why some 24-hour plumbers like Rooter John offer flexible payment plans through Synchrony Bank and Wisetack. If you have any questions about the upper limit of your bill and ways you can pay over time, contact the plumber in question and get to know their offerings and policies.
Best 24 Hour Plumber Near Me
There doesn’t have to be an active emergency running rampant through your home in order to begin taking steps to not only prepare against plumbing problems but to find the kind of 24-hour plumber you want on your side in the event of a crisis. Looking for qualified, timely, professional, and experienced plumbers who can show up in the event of a mishap is a practice that is best serviced by pondering your needs in advance—not in the chaotic throws of an emergency itself. The more attentive you can be to the needs and limitations of your plumbing, toilet, water heater tank, and more, the better homeowner you can become—and perhaps the less you will have to pay for inconvenient and costly plumbing accidents.
Looking for the best 24 hour plumber “near me” in the Orange County area? Contact Rooter John today and ask us how we can serve you!